Picked up a couple heads of cauliflowers from my Mama yesterday, normally I cook them with a little bit of oil, some salty preserved vegi and salt/pepper. Today I decided to be a little more adventurous and cook it Indian style, good thing is hubby has a big box of spices with the necessary ingredients, the most interesting part was how the mustard seeds started popping once they were heated up! I really enjoy how aromatic this dish makes my house smell the whole evening!
* oil for frying
* pinch of cumin
* pinch of mustard seed
* 2 tsp minced ginger
* 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
* 2 sharlets, thinly sliced
* 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
* one cauliflower, cut into flowerlets
* 1/2 tsp red chili powder
* 1 tsp salt
* pinch of pepper
* 1 tbsp water
* 1. Heat the oil in a wok (about 1 to 2 tbsp) and add the mustard seed.
* 2. When the seeds start to pop, add the cumin, ginger, garlic and onion. Stir fry for a few minutes until the onion turns golden.
* 3. Sprinkle ground turmeric and add the cauliflower. Stir fry for another 2 minutes to coat the vegetable.
* 4. Add the chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.
* 5. Push the cauliflowers to the edge of the wok, pour the water to the center, cover the pan and steam until cauliflower is soft. Stir occasionally until ready to serve.
Adapted from: Suite 101