- 1.5 pounds stew beef
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 2 piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds, each smashed with flat side of knife
- 2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoons chili bean paste (Sichuan hot bean paste; dou ban jiang)
- 4 cups of water
- 2 whole green onions, trimmed to 3 sections
- 2 T (or more) soy sauce (do not use low-sodium)
- 2 t salt
- 2 t brown sugar
- 1 t ground black pepper
Boil a big pot of water, toss beef in there for about 2 minutes, until brown, drain water and set aside.
Heat up the oil in a pot, toss in ginger and garlic, stir until fregrant, then add in onions, stirfry until transparent, add in chili bean paste next, if you can’t handle heat, there are regular bean paste that can be used as a substitute. Add water and green onions, soy sauce, salt, brown sugar and pepper next, mix well and add in the beef. Bring back to boil, then turn down the hear to simmer for at least 2 hours.
Adpated from Epicurious