Normally I use the “1, 2, 3, 4, 5” recipe to braise ribs, but since the beginning of the year I’ve been on a “let’s try something new kick”, so of course tonight it no exception. The only issue is I can’t figure out how come the original recipe called for only 10 minutes of simmering, when I cooked mine for about 20 minutes and the meat was still not as tender as I’d like (which is falling off the bones). The below is the modified version of how I would cook it the next time around.
- 1.5 pounds baby back spareribs
- 2 tablespoons fermented black beans (also called salted black beans)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying, or as needed
- 1/8 red chili flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- a few drops sesame oil
- 2 scallions (spring onion, green onion) cut into 3 – 4 pieces
Turn off the heat and stir in a few drops of sesame oil. Serve garnished with the scallion. I laid the meat over a bed of clear noodles and drizzled the black bean sauce over them, yum!