Hi everyone! For my US friends, did you have a good Super Bowl Sunday? Personally I am not a big sports fan, in fact when my husband has sports blaring on TV, I normally get disoriented from the sportscaster’s announcements (why must they yell?) and have a real hard time concentrate on whatever I want to focus on… Though Super Bowl Sunday is a bit different, for me it’s a time to get together with friends, and watch the hilarious multimillion dollar commercials in between the foot ball game. This year we were invited to a great party with lots of wonderful food, we brought along some buffalo wings and a pineapple upside down cake, both were such a hit with the party people, for a novice baker like me, it’s always surprising when baked goods come out eatable, let along getting such positive praises! The following is the super easy recipe, hope you will give it a try also!
BTW one of the little guests at the party told me she will eat any dish with the name of “Upside Down” in it, I thought that was hilarious!
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup apple sauce (instead of oil)
1/3 cup orange juice
1 pineapple, peeled and sliced
1/3 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 stick butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Prep a 13 x 9 baking dish by wrapping foil and grease all sides with cooking oil
- Cut butter into small pieces and drop into the baking dish, then sprinkle the brown sugar evenly
- Melt the butter and sugar into liquid by placing the baking dish into the oven for around 5 minutes
- Prepare the cake batter by mix the cake mix with water, apple sauce and eggs, mix thoroughly, then stir in orange juice
- Place the pineapple slices onto the melted butter and brown sugar liquid in the baking pan, then pour the cake batter over the pineapple slices
- Bake the cake according to cake mix directions (around 50 minutes). When toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, take the cake out of the oven and place a plate over it then flip carefully, then carefully peel back the foilto reveal the cake. If you prefer, turn on the broiler and sprinkle some more brown sugar over the pineapple, and bake on top oven layer for another 5 minutes for more crunchy sugar coating. Enjoy!