This is one of hubby’s favorite dish, he prefers cat fish because that’s what he grew up with, I am not accustom to the taste of cat fish, so here we are using bass instead. I’ve used red fish before but there were too much bones to pick at, seems like bass is a good option, not too fishy either!
- 1 1/2 lbs catfish or bass, cut up into about 4 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (preferably Three Crabs Brand)
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced (I used 1 large onion)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chili pepper (I used 1/2 tsb of red chili flake)
- 2 slices ginger, julienned
- ground black pepper
1. In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, cook the sugar over low to medium heat, swirling the pan constantly, until brown and caramelized.
2. Remove pan from heat and stir the fish sauce into the caramel.
3. It will smoke slightly.
4. Return the pan to low heat and gently boil for about couple minutes while stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
5. Stir in the shallots, chili and ginger.
6. Add the fish in the caramel sauce and sprinkle with black pepper.
7. Bring to a boil.
8. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
9. Simmer for 30-45 minutes, turning the fish occasionally and carefully.