Hello friends! How’s your 2012 so far? It’s amazing we are already more than half way done with January, so far I am still sticking with my New Year’s Resolution of “Stop overlooking the beauty of small moments”, hope you are doing well with your resolution also!
My fellow foodie friend Kath from My Funny Little Life recently posted a blog of some of her favorite things, in there she included a MP3 player, it got me thinking that maybe I can incorporate music into my week night cooking routine also. Normally I listen to “Vocal Trance” from Digitally Imported while working, don’t laugh, I know it’s ridiculous that I listen to dance club music while designing, but it’s been going on for years, and it really gets the creative juices flowing, or at least the beat keeps me productive. I’ve recently downloaded their app onto my iPhone, so now a days when it’s time to cook, the headphones are plugged in, and I feel so happy prepping and cooking away! Do you have any routine that helps with making everyday chores fun?
OK, let’s talk about today’s recipe! A few months ago I re-organized our bookcase, when my hubby was doing most of the cooking, the gourmet in training that he is purchased every single cookbook there is along with every single spices one would ever need. The spices have come in very handy, though the cookbooks got buried with the rest of our stuff. Now everything’s organized, I’ve pulled out the Asian ones and study them from time to time. The Chicken in Lemon Sauce is from “The Asian Kitchen” by Lilian Wu, it’s a beautiful hard cover and with detailed step by step photos. I received many praises from the family about this (there’s a slight modification from the original recipe), hope you will give it a try also!
4 skinned chicken thighs, flattened and cut away fats, then cut into 1/2 inch stripes
1tbsp light soy sauce
5 tbsp cornstarch
3 stalks of green onions, cut into 3 long sections per stalk
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp rice wine
2/3 cup chicken stock
4 tbsp cooking oil
1. Toss chicken strips with soy sauce, then cover with 4 tbsp of cornstarch
2. Peel the lemon, remove lemon zest and cut into fine strips, reserve aside.
3. Juice the lemon, , mix with sugar, rice wine, chicken stock.
4. Mix remaining corn starch with some water and blend well, reserve aside
5. Heat the oil and cook the chicken in small batches for 3-4 minutes, remove and drain on paper towel
6. Add the green onions sections and garlic to the pan, stir until fragrant
7. Add the reserved ingredients (lemon juice mix, corn starch mix and lemon zest) bring to a boil, add the chicken pieces back into the pan and toss with sauce to coat evenly, enjoy with white rice.